Phrasal Verbs are always difficult to understand as you can't just guess what you think it means. And this is one of the reasons why you have problems understanding native speakers.
Here are some useful Phrasal verbs to help you on your way to fluency.
1, Put Off
This is when you want to say you postpone something. Very useful in Business.
- The meeting was put off till next Friday.
- The trip to the mountains was put off till the following weekend due to the bad weather.
2, Call Off
This is then you want to cancel something.
- The meeting was called off. (Notice the difference to put off)
- The concert was called off as the singer had lost her voice
3 Cut Short
To reduce the time of something.
- The meeting was cut short as some of the participants had a flight to catch.
- The questions to the chairperson has to be cut short as we don't have enough time.
4, Carry On
To continue doing something
- After lunch I carried on working till nine O'clock in the evening.
- Carry on painting the office, don't stop for me.
5, Hold On
This means "wait"
- "Hold on please, I'm not ready yet."
- "Hold on, I'll just go to my office and get my jacket.
I hope these help you. More to come SOON Martin